2014 "IT is for Girls" Summer Camp
July 14th - July 18th, 2014
Registration will be available March 25th 2014!
Imagine today’s world without computers. Computers and information technology have impacted every field you can imagine – business, manufacturing, health care, sports, entertainment including travel and tourism. We live in a digital world that opens new frontiers almost daily. New, exciting, IT related careers emerge such as Cyber Law, Gaming, Apparel design, Bioinformatics, etc. The Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that by 2016, five out of the top ten fastest growing jobs relate to IT (check out the FAQ page for more information). Most IT jobs require good skills in communication, problem solving, creativity, human interaction and collaboration – the kinds of skills most often attributed to women.
UNCG is currently working in collaboration with the National Center for Women in IT and Guilford County Schools to increase awareness about IT education and careers among middle-school girls in grades 6 through 8. High-school students who have participated in past summer camps will be invited to serve as teen mentors. Thanks to a grant from Lincoln Financial Group, and Aspire IT Middle School program, UNCG is able to offer this summer camp again for middle school girls in 2014. Through hands-on activities, participants will:
- Create animations and video games using MIT's "SCRATCH" software - Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu) is a programming environment that was designed specifically to allow people to quickly begin creating their own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art. It is a project of the MIT Media Lab's "Lifelong Kindergarten Group," and is widely used to enable students to explore their digital creativity.
- Design web pages - Students will learn how to design and publish web pages.
- Develop Android mobile applications using Google AppInventor (http://beta.appinventor.mit.edu/about/) which uses many of the same ideas as Scratch to create an easy-to-use programming environment, but is specifically designed to create apps for Android smartphones and devices. Have a great idea for a simple Android app? Learn how you could turn that into reality using AppInventor!
- Film Festival - "Become a video Diva. Learn to tell a digital story by creating a storyboard, filming, and editing your very own video production."
- LEGO® Robotics - work with robotic sets that allow your student to bring their toys to life.
- Explore computer and Internet security
- Build and repair computers
- Field Trips to area industries (locations TBD)
All participants will receive a complimnetary flashdrive in order take their projects home, as well as a copy of the SCRATCH programming software. Please feel free to browse the websites for the previous workshops in the archives link.
Additional information on how to register your child can be found in the Registration Information section.