2012 “IT is for Girls” Summer Workshop/Camp
July 16th – July 20th, 2012
***REGISTRATION IS CLOSED!!!***
Imagine today’s world without computers. Computers and information technology have impacted every field you can imagine – business, manufacturing, health care, sports, entertainment including travel and tourism. We live in a digital world that opens new frontiers almost daily. New, exciting, IT related careers emerge such as Cyber Law, Gaming, Apparel design, Bioinformatics, etc. The Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that by 2016, fiveout of the top ten fastest growing jobs relate to IT (check out the FAQ page for more information). Most IT jobs require good skills in communication, problem solving, creativity, human interaction and collaboration – the kinds of skills most often attributed to women.
UNCG is currently working in collaboration with Guilford County Schools to increase awareness about IT education and careers among high-school girls in grades 9 through 11. Thanks to the grant from the American Association of University Women (AAUW), UNCG is able to offer this workshop/camp again for 2012 for a small fee. Through hands-on activities, participants will:
- Create animations and video games using MIT’s “SCRATCH” software – Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu) is a programming environment that was designed specifically to allow people to quickly begin creating their own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art. It is a project of the MIT Media Lab’s “Lifelong Kindergarten Group,” and is widely used to enable students to explore their digital creativity.
- Design web pages – Students will learn how to design and publish web pages.
- Develop Android mobile applications using Google AppInventor (http://beta.appinventor.mit.edu/about/) which uses many of the same ideas as Scratch to create an easy-to-use programming environment, but is specifically designed to create apps for Android smartphones and devices. Have a great idea for a simple Android app? Learn how you could turn that into reality using AppInventor!
- Film Festival – “Become a video Diva. Learn to tell a digital story by creating a storyboard, filming, and editing your very own video production.”
- Explore computer and Internet security
- Build and repair computers
- Field Trips to area industries (locations TBD)
All participants will receive a complimentary flashdrive in order take their projects home, as well as a copy of the SCRATCH programming software. Please feel free to browse the websites for the previous workshops in the archives link.
Additional information on how to register your child can be found in the Registration Information section.