Welcome to the Women in Information Technology Initiatives at UNCG
Next TechSavvy event: Saturday March 26th, 2016 in UNCG
“IT is for Girls” Summer Camp
Tentative dates for next offering: July 25 to 29, 2016
Registration will open in February! Hope to hear from. Please like us on Facebook so we can keep you posted of future events and scholarships opportunities.
Imagine today’s world without computers. Computers and information technology have impacted every field you can imagine – business, manufacturing, health care, sports, entertainment including travel and tourism. We live in a digital world that opens new frontiers almost daily. New, exciting, IT related careers emerge such as Cyber Law, Gaming, Apparel design, Bioinformatics, etc. The Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that by 2016, five out of the top ten fastest growing jobs relate to IT (check out the FAQ page for more information). Most IT jobs require good skills in communication, problem solving, creativity, human interaction and collaboration – the kinds of skills most often attributed to women.
While the Women in IT initiative is broader in scope, the mission of the “IT is for Girls” program is to serve young girls in middle and high-school to:
- increase awareness about IT/Computing education and career opportunities,
- increase confidence in accomplishing specific IT based skills and in understanding how it can be applied in other fields,
- provide opportunities to interact with women IT professionals and Engineers who will share personal experiences and answer questions regarding diverse career opportunities in the computing area, and
- enhance their leadership skills through sessions in conflict resolution, decision making, communication and building community awareness.
UNCG is working in collaboration with the National Center for Women in IT, American Association of University Women – Greensboro Branch, Guilford County Schools and Companies in Triad and beyond to increase awareness about IT education and careers among middle and highschool girls in grades 6 through 9. High-school students who have participated in past summer camps serve as teen mentors. Thanks to a grant from Lincoln Financial Group, and NCWIT’s Aspire IT Middle School program, UNCG offered the summer camp for middle school girls in 2013 and 2014. Through hands-on activities, participants will:
- Create animations and video games using MIT’s “SCRATCH” software – Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu) is a programming environment that was designed specifically to allow people to quickly begin creating their own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art. It is a project of the MIT Media Lab’s “Lifelong Kindergarten Group,” and is widely used to enable students to explore their digital creativity.
- Design web pages – Students will learn how to design and publish web pages.
- Develop Android mobile applications using Google AppInventor (http://beta.appinventor.mit.edu/about/) which uses many of the same ideas as Scratch to create an easy-to-use programming environment, but is specifically designed to create apps for Android smartphones and devices. Have a great idea for a simple Android app? Learn how you could turn that into reality using AppInventor!
- Film Festival – “Become a video Diva. Learn to tell a digital story by creating a storyboard, filming, and editing your very own video production.”
- LEGO® Robotics – work with robotic sets that allow your student to bring their toys to life.
- Explore computer and Internet security
- Build and repair computers
- Field Trips to area industries (locations TBD)
All participants will receive a complimentary flashdrive in order take their projects home, as well as a copy of the SCRATCH programming software. Please feel free to browse the websites for the previous workshops in the archives link.
Additional information on how to register your child can be found in the Registration Information section.